BEST KETO BROWNIES
There are three types of brownies: fudgy (fudge-like with a moist chocolate
interior), chewy (not as fudgy but still rich, and a bit more crumbly), and
fluffy (cake-like with a moist crumb). The fact that I’ve classified them
should tell you just how serious I am about brownies. Freshly baked, these
brownies are fudgy; after being stored in the fridge, they lean toward chewy.
If you opt to serve them without the whipped cream topping, they are also
coconut-free! If you want to go way, way overboard, you could top them with
homemade marshmallows (here).
PREP TIME: 20 minutes, plus 30 minutes to cool COOK TIME: 30 minutes MAKES: 16
brownies (16 servings)
½ cup (120 ml) water
2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
1 cup (260 g) tahini
¼ cup (60 ml) refined avocado oil or melted ghee (if tolerated)
¾ cup (120 g) confectioners’-style erythritol
⅔ cup (53 g) cacao powder
¼ teaspoon finely ground gray sea salt
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup (240 ml) Coconut Whipped Cream, sweetened and chocolateflavored (here)
Extra cacao powder, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C) and line an 8-inch (20-cm) square
baking pan with parchment paper, with the ends draped over the sides for easy
2. Place the water in a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin on top. Do not stir.
After 5 minutes, turn the heat to medium and bring the mixture to a light boil,
stirring occasionally. Once the mixture is smooth, set aside. If the mixture
begins to cool, it will begin to solidify. Simply reheat to liquefy before using
in Step 4.
3. Put the tahini and avocado oil in the bowl of a stand mixer or a mixing
bowl (if using a hand mixer). Mix with the flat beater (or hand mixer) until
4. Add the hot gelatin liquid, erythritol, cacao powder, salt, and baking
powder. Stir until just combined.
5. Transfer the brownie batter to the prepared pan and press down with your
palms to even it out.
6. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the corners are crisp and a toothpick
inserted in the middle comes out clean.
7. Allow the brownies to cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then cut into 16
8. If desired, top each brownie with a tablespoon-sized dollop of whipped
cream just before serving, then dust with cacao powder.
STORE IT: Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week or in
the freezer for up to 1 month. For the best consistency, leave out on the
counter for 30 minutes before enjoying.
THAW IT: Set on the counter until thawed, about 30 minutes.
MAKE IT COCONUT-FREE: Omit the Coconut Whipped Cream topping.
(PER BROWNIE, WITHOUT TOPPINGS):
calories: 161 | calories from fat: 124 | total fat: 13.8g | saturated fat: 2.2g | cholesterol: 0mg
sodium: 45mg | carbs: 3.7g | dietary fiber: 3g | net carbs: 0.7g | sugars: 0g | protein: 5.6g
fat: 77% carbs: 9% protein: 14%