Creamy mashed cauliflower made with a touch of whipped butter, buttermilk, garlic and herbs and topped with cheese and bacon – low-carb, but you’ll swear it’s loaded with tons of calories!
- 4 slices center cut bacon
- 6 cups (about 24 oz) cauliflower florets
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1/3 cup 1% buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon whipped butter
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives, divided
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced fat shredded cheddar
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp; set aside on a paper towel then crumble.
- Fill a large pot with water, bring to a boil and add cauliflower and garlic. Boil until the cauliflower is soft, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, and return to the pot.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the buttermilk, butter, salt and pepper to the cauliflower and purée with a hand blender. If you don’t own a hand blender, a regular blender would work fine as well.
- Mix in 1 tbsp of the chives and transfer to 4 individual casseroles (3/4 cups each) or one 8 x 8 casserole dish and top with cheddar and crumbled bacon.
- Bake in the oven until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes then top with remaining chives.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 3/4 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 2
- Points +: 3
- Calories: 112 calories
- Total Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 107mg
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 0g
- Protein: 1.5g