Keto Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (Gluten-Free & Low Carb)
For the cabbage:
- 1 medium cabbage – about 2.5 lb (1.1kg)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sea salt
For the sauce:
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil – divided
- 1 small onion – finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot – shredded
- 1 1/2 cups (337g) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (120ml) heavy cream
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt – or to your taste
For the stuffing:
- 1/2 small cauliflower head – should yield about 1 3/4 cups (210g) of cauliflower rice
- 1.5 lb (680g) ground pork – (or a mix of pork and turkey/beef)
- 1 cup (113g) cheddar cheese – shredded
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt – or to your taste
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (120ml) sauce
To prepare the cabbage for the rolls:
- Place a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Fill 2/3 with water, and stir in salt and vinegar.
- Remove the outer 2 leaves of the cabbage.
- Using a sharp paring knife, cut out the cabbage core.
- Once the water is boiling, carefully place the cabbage in water, cork side down.
- Allow it to simmer for 5 minutes, then flip the cabbage over and continue to cook for 5-6 minutes more.
- While the cabbage is cooking, use a pair of tongs to loosen the leaves as they begin to soften.
- Reserve 2 cups of water from the pot, then drain and allow it to cool in a bowl.
- Once the cabbage is safe to handle, pull off the leaves and arrange them one on top of the other.
To prepare the sauce:
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat (or use the same pot you’ve cooked the cabbage in).
- Add oil, then stir in the onion and carrot. Sauté until soften, about 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, double cream, oregano and salt. Continue to cook for a few minutes more, until bubbly.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
To prepare the cauliflower rice:
- Wash and pat-dry the cauliflower with a paper towel, then remove all green leaves.
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets and place them into your food processor. Pulse a few times, until the cauliflower resembles ‘rice grains’.
- Alternatively, cut the cauliflower into large chunks and using a grater with medium-sized holes, grate them into ‘rice’.
To prepare the stuffing:
- Into a large bowl, combine the meat and cauliflower rice.
- Add the egg, salt, pepper, shredded cheese and 1/2 cup of sauce. Mix thoroughly to combine.
To prepare the cabbage rolls:
- Using a sharp knife, carefully slice off the raised surface of the tough center stem to flatten the leaves. This process will make them easier to roll.
- Place about 2 tbsp of meat mixture just over the stem portion of the cabbage leaf. Roll it like a burrito and stuff both ends in.
- Repeat with the remaining cabbage leaves and meat mixture.
- Arrange the stuffed cabbage rolls in a Dutch oven or pot.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the rolls and add in about 1 cup of the reserved water (from the cabbage).
To cook the Keto stuffed cabbage rolls:
- Cover your Dutch oven/pot and place it in the preheated oven at 350°F (180°C).
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 to 30 minutes, or until the meat is cooked through.
- Check the rolls at half time and watch the liquid level. If there is not much liquid left, add in some more reserved water.
Calories: 479kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 119mg | Sodium: 1806mg | Potassium: 731mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g