Keto Chicken Pot Pie
For the Chicken Pot Pie Filling:
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup mixed veggies could also substitute green beans or broccoli
- 1/4 small onion diced
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- pinch thyme
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken diced
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
For the crust:
- 4 1/2 tablespoons of butter melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons full fat sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup Mozzarella Cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 tsp parsley (to sprinkle on top)
Cook 1 to 1 1/2 lbs chicken in the slow cooker for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Sautee onion, mixed veggies, garlic cloves, salt, and pepper in 2 tablespoons of butter in a cast-iron skillet or oven-safe skillet for approx 5 min or until onions are translucent.
Add heavy whipping cream, chicken broth, poultry seasoning, thyme, and rosemary.
Sprinkle Xantham Gum on top and simmer for 5 minutes so that the sauce thickens. Make sure to simmer covered as the liquid will evaporate otherwise. You need a lot of liquid for this recipe; otherwise, it will be dry.
Add diced chicken.
Make the breading by combining melted butter (I cool mine by popping the bowl in the fridge for 5 min), eggs, salt, and sour cream in a bowl, then whisk together.
coconut flourand baking powder to the mixture and stir until combined.
Stir in cheese.
Drop batter by dollops on top of the chicken pot pie. Do not spread it out, as the
coconut flourwill absorb too much of the liquid.
Bake in a 400-degree oven for 15-20 min.
Set oven to broil and move chicken pot pie to the top-shelf. Broil for 1-2 minutes until bread topping is nicely browned. Sprinkle dried parsley on top.
Variations to the recipe:
- Use turkey breast or thigh instead of chicken
- For added fat use chicken thighs instead of the chicken breast
- Grab a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store when you are in a hurry.
- Sub bone broth for chicken broth
- Try adding in other low carb veggies such as cauliflower, mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini, etc
- Feel free to try different types of cheese in the homemade easy keto biscuits recipe for the crust
- If you follow a more modified low carb lifestyle Carbquick is a low carb alternative to the biscuit topping. It is much like Bisquick but with fewer carbs.
Calories: 297kcal | Carbohydrates: 5.3g | Protein: 11.6g | Fat: 17g | Fiber: 2g