Chicken & Asparagus One Skillet Meal
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic cloves, minced
- 1 TB butter
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded thin (approx 6 chicken breasts)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 oz cream cheese
- 2/3 cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 TB Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lb asparagus, chopped
In a skillet, add olive oil, onions, and garlic then saute until tender.
Remove the onions and garlic from skillet then add 1 tablespoon of butter and sear chicken breasts on each side.
After the chicken breasts are browned on each side, remove from the skillet and set aside. Add chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, the sauteed onions/garlic, and spices back to the skillet. Whisk until the cheese melts and the sauce is smooth.
Add chicken breasts back to skillet and simmer on low covered for 10 minutes.
Add asparagus to the chicken mixture and simmer on low again covered for 12 minutes.
Remove the lid and simmer on low until the sauce thickens.
How to prepare the asparagus?
There are multiple ways to trim fresh asparagus. You can peel the bottom until the tough woody outside is removed, leaving the more tender juicy part of the asparagus. You can pinch the end part and bend until it snaps, or line all of your asparagus up on a cutting board and chop the ends off. Here are detailed steps if a visual is more helpful.
What veggies can I substitute for asparagus?
This recipe is versatile, so if asparagus isn’t your jam, there are many other low carb vegetables that you can sub instead.
- Broccoli or cauliflower florets – Chopped small and in uniform slices, broccoli and cauliflower, should cook the same as the asparagus.
- Green peppers – Saute the same time as the onions then follow the same cooking directions as the onions.
- Sliced mushrooms – you can saute the same time as the mushrooms or wait and add to the recipe the same time as you would have the asparagus.
- Fresh green beans – Make sure green beans are washed and snapped. They can be steamed beforehand then added to the recipe at the last step when the sauce is thickening to keep them nice and crisp.
- Spinach – Chopped baby spinach can be added in place of the asparagus following the same cooking directions.
- Brussels sprouts – Brussels sprouts would need to be sliced in half first. You could saute them with the onions then add back to the skillet the same as the asparagus.
How to make chicken and asparagus with cream sauce for meal prep?
You can make this recipe ahead to enjoy later. It will keep for approx 3-4 days in the fridge. It should be reheated slowly so that the sauce doesn’t separate in the microwave reheat on 1/2 power. If reheating in a skillet, add a splash of fresh cream to the pan first then rewarm on low. I would not recommend freezing this recipe since there is quite a bit of heavy cream, cream cheese, and cheese in the sauce. These ingredients are often grainy when rewarmed after frozen.